Monday, July 19, 2021

Album Review: 19 Head Over Heels For Paula Abdul

Album Review: 19
Head Over Heels for Paula Abdul

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Paula Abdul – Head Over Heels
1995 Virgin Records 7243 8 40525 2 2
**.5


"Now you tell me since you've been away
There was something you've been dying to say
Yes, I thought you had eyes for me
But I never was quite sure
Might funny that you never called
Ain't it funny now that you're gone
That you say you're in love with me
Now that's hard for me to believe"

A big disappointment. My least favorite Paula Abdul album. it's not bad it just doesn't have anything special to make it memorable. It basically killed her singing career, or at least de-railed it enough before she shifted gears to be a judge for American Idol. What is it with women who marry and then divorce those Sheen/Estévez boys? Other than the opening track Crazy Cool this album's only single, there is nothing that is particularly memorable. One thing is the video for the song is one of her sexiest videos (maybe because of the Pole Dancing), I think Promise Of A New Day is her sexiest video of all time. Track 2 My Love is For Real begins with a Middle East sound. What is up with that? Maybe a concept that went bad. Track 7 The Choice is Yours the lyrics are poorly enunciated at first, I thought she was singing something in French during the chorus. Track 8 Ho Down starts with an old 1920s style muted trumpets sound, which is either simulated to sound like an old vinyl Victrola disc or an authentic old recording, probably the former, and changes with scratching sounds that jumps into modern dance type music.

2 comments:

Jon said...

I remember her being very popular at one time, especially with kids my age, but I just couldn't ever get into her stuff.

Fuji said...

You motivated me to look up her Promise Of A New Day video. Before I even hit play... I remembered it.