Saturday, January 05, 2013

Book Update: July and August 2012

July & August 2012

OK like my last "update" this one is coming many months too late, but only about 6 months late this time not 11. I got just a few books from the summer months, with the exception of one or two books from the MLB Insiders Club, this wraps up the books I had gotten in 2012. I will try to keep up with this stuff THIS Year to avoid having to do another post or two like this come 2014. I already have about 5 coming in from Ebay in the next few days to weeks.

ON to the books all of which I got from dealers at Ebay:

First up we have a book that I got for several reasons that should be pretty obvious because it is from a series I have a lot of books from. Doctor Who: Paradox Lost by George Mann. I first heard about this book from a Doctor Who group at GoodReads where I keep track of my book collection. It sounded fun since it was one of those Doctor Who adventures that went back and forth between a couple of time periods.

Doctor Who: Paradox Lost
By George Mann

Like most of the Doctor Who books it is a very fun read. This one gets its excitement from having to solve a modern/future paradox by traveling almost 1,000 years into the past. It keeps mentioning "one thousand years" but technically the span is only 879 years. It has a Sherlock Holmes Mystery feel to it with a bit of a goth horror mixed of course with the modern Doctor (number 11) with "The Ponds" flair.

Next up another Doctor Who book surprise surprise. This one called Doctor Who: Judgement of the Judoon by Colin Brake.
by Colin Brake

This Doctor Who book is a solo adventure of the Tenth Doctor. It has a sort of film noir feel to it with a little bit of comic flair added to the slight Doctor Who taste. He meets a character that would have made a wonderful companion had this been a regular episode or the book series publishers wanted an ongoing companion. I'm not sure how they decide that for the books. Judging (pardon the pun) by the title I thought if would be more of a courtroom drama sort of, but I'm glad it wasn't exactly the way I had invisioned it would be. It was a bit cooler and wasn't stuck with just the Judoon. The actual story is sad in some ways but I won't get into that here right now. I may save some of that for my official review of it. (Whenever that will happen since I'm behind right now with 32 books to review)

My third book from July was one for a sci-fi reading club at Goodreads. Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

By Neil Stephenson

This book I was mixed on most of the story I really liked the concept of it but the author's use of foul language was a little much and in many places not needed. Originally published in the early 1990s it is one of those just a few years into the future type of books. The world is owned by corporations and instead of countries everything is companies and their franchises that act like countries, even public services like the police and the US Government are independently owned companies/countries. Cyberspace is huge business and other than these franchise zones it is the place to be. The anti-hero of the story is a mixed-raced 20something who has a hard time holding regular jobs but is an expert swordsman and is one of the "grandfather" hackers of the cyberspace world. He stumbles upon this drug called "Snow Crash" which is a drug in the real world made from tainted blood and in the Cyberworld a computer virus aimed to take out hackers. Part of the cyberspace experience is to be "jacked in" which like many other stories of this kind involves a computer chip and a type of USB port surgically installed in the neck. There is a subculture of these jacked in people who are more cyborg than human and they tend to be associated with the bad guys in this tale. If it were not for the language used by almost all the characters I would have enjoyed this book a bit more.

OK so then for the Month of AUGUST I got  a lone book. This is an older pre ISBN book from the 1960s and Random House. The Story of Baseball by John M. Rosenburg (of course the only amazon links I could find were for revised versions from the 70s but it will do for demonstration purposes and for this blog). It is a big hardcover storybook designed for "young readers" pre-teen to teenagers, but can be enjoyed by those who like or love the sport of baseball. I haven't read it yet but will sometime.

by John M. Rosenburg

Well there we go that was the books I had gotten about six months ago. I will try to keep my book updates more up-to-date than this one and the last one.

No comments: