I had a blackout recently at my apartment on Thursday night. During a thunderstorm watch. The power went out about 6:10 PM. I am glad it happened the day it did and not a day or two before. The two days before maintenance had been working on my apartment's HVAC unit. They had to take the compressor out and take it to their shop. It was a big old thing that takes two to lug around. My AC had not been functioning. It sounded like it was trying to run, but it wasn't cooling and the digital controlled thermostat was acting weird, it would blink out whenever you tried to make any adjustments. Well it took them two days to fix it, the compressor was bad and there was a pipe leak that had to be fixed. So then the night after they had fixed stuff came the power outage.
During the power outage, the power company gave me some robot recorded status update calls. The first call stated that power outages had been reported for my building and that they were working on the issue. Estimated restoration time based on past outages and assessment of any damage was at first 9:30, then call 2 the time was cutback to 8:30, or maybe 8:15, call 3 estimate was 8:00. Then shortly after 8:30 the power was still out and they apologized about not having the power back yet. Then around 8:10 PM the power was restored. About 5 minutes later the final call of the evening stated the power was restored.
During the power outage all of my Xfinity service was out. I have the 3-in-1 bundle of Cable, Internet, and Landline Phone. So my WiFi was also out. Fortunately for my cellphone I have Verizon so I could the cellphone.
Friday morning while checking my emails, there were a couple of emails from the management company of my apartment complex telling about the power outage for 3 of the buildings in the complex. Apparently not all of the complex was affected.
Before the power outage I had been doing a load of clothes in the washer, when the power came back on the clothes washer came back on.

1 comment:
It's weird. When I was a kid, I loved power outages. My mom would light candles around the house and we'd pick our personal spot and read by candlelight. These days, I rely so much on technology... it's a pain.
I'd say the biggest drawback is a power outage during the summer, because I have trouble sleeping when it's hot. Need that electricity to run the ac. As for computers and wi-fi. That's taken care of with battery banks and using my cellphone as a hot spot. But when I had a quick 4 hour outage earlier in the summer... I went old school. I lit a candle and just read a book.
Post a Comment