Monday, March 08, 2021

Album Review: 00 Beginning With Sound FX

ALBUM REVIEW: 00
Beginning With Sound FX


Here is the first post of a feature that hopefully I'll have the stamina to continue with for sometime. I teased about this Music Review feature some posts ago here. These first several reviews will be simple cut and pastes from the reviews I have posted over at rateyourmusic (RYM). I have a total of 27 reviews there, However, there are 2 (maybe 3) of them that I will not repost here. They are reviews of CDs that I plan to sell or get rid of somehow, sometime and were short cheap reviews of the "I hated (or loved) this album" type reviews with no review meat on them. For quite a few years RYM was the only online site where I tracked my music collection. I still don't have my entire collection tracked there, just a small portion. More recently I have started tracking some of my collection at Discogs because I started finding they had some of the albums that were not over at RYM. I have not yet posted any reviews at Discogs and don't plan to.

My rating system is a simple 5 star system like they use at Rate Your Music.

I tend to try to keep track of more of my information electronically online, but I don't want to have only one lone website as the only source of my information in case that site goes bye-bye. On the other hand I don't want to have to keep a huge cluttered hard copy archive as my only source in my already cluttered and disorganized apartment. So I try to keep some stuff both electronic and physical hard copy. But I digress.

This first review is pretty straight forward it is simply a CD of sound effects used for Hannah-Barbera cartoons.

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Hannah-Barbera Cartoon Sound FX
1994 Rhino Records R2 71828
**.5


"Yabba-Dabba-Doo!, Pingitty-Pingitty-Ping, Kablam! Ba-Wong, Boi-EE-Ing!"

This disc is just what it says it is, the audio sound-effects from the Hanna-Barbera Cartoons. The only thing I don't like about this CD is the segments they call "Comic Caper" where characters like Fred Flintstone (voiced by whoever the guy is who voiced the characters in 1994, who just doesn't sound as good as the original voice-over Fred Flintstone) tell stories, make an answering machine recording or explain what sound effects are next on the disc. I got this mostly for the sound effects, but was kind of disappointing because even though they are the sounds used in the cartoons, they sound strange. They sound almost "canned". I can do without the goofy capers and second or third generation voice-over talent, who aren't as good as the originals. Still if you want to add some zip or perhaps a zing, Szwip-p, Twang-g-g-g-g, Kabong to your personal recordings and mix tapes then this is a nice disc to use (except for the voice-over stuff).

1 comment:

Jon said...

Looking forward to seeing this series on regular basis. I've never heard of this album, but had I known of it when I was younger, I most certainly would've gotten it. Thankfully for my wallet's sake, I usually steer clear of these kinds of recording now, if only because they rarely live up to my expectations.