Monday, May 17, 2021

Album Review: 10 Self Titled Heart

 Album Review: 10
Self Titled Heart

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Heart Heart
1985 Capitol Records CDP 7 46157 2
****


"Darkness on the edge
Shadows where I stand
I search for the time
On a watch with no hands

I want to see you clearly
Come closer than this
But all I remember
Are the dreams in the mist"

It seems to me that most of these songs eventually became hits, or at least it seems like it. I often wonder why this album was self-titled. Usually a self-titled album is the band’s first album, but this was Heart’s 9th album (8th if you don't count The Greatest Hits album, which did have some original material). Anyway, the Wilson sisters kick some royal rock-n-roll arse on this album. The album starts heavy rockin' with If Looks Could Kill and continues, on from there. Perhaps the highlight of the album is These Dreams which is the first Heart song where Nancy* sings lead vocals instead of Ann. In the mid 1980s when this album came out Rock-n-Roll was all about Hair Bands and Nancy certainly let hers fly all over the place. I first got this album on vinyl, I think I still have it on that format, as part of my first dozen albums or so when I signed up to the then Columbia Record and Tape Club, eventually the mail-order service changed its name to the Columbia CD Club when they stopped dealing in vinyl in the early 1990s. All in all, this is probably my favorite Heart Album, I'd be hard pressed to pick a second favorite, I like them all.

*Nancy recently released her first solo album You and Me on 07 May 2021.

No comments: