Monday, May 31, 2021

Album Review: 12 Surviving The Streets With Lynyrd Skynyrd

 Album Review: 12
Surviving The Streets With Lynyrd Skynrd

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors
1977 MCA MCAD 1687
****


"Well, the police said we can't drink in the bar
What a shame
Won't you come upstairs girl
And have a drink of champagne"

It's been a while since I've listened to this Classic Skynyrd album. Released in 1977 just three days before the tragic airplane crash that took the lives of several band members. After the crash MCA changed the original "Fire" or "Flames" Album cover (which shows the band members standing with flames of fire all around them) to the plain cover of this issue. For several years the original cover was very hard to find and expensive on vinyl and the CD issue only had this alternate cover. A remastered version with bonus tracks was issued in 2001 with the original cover (remind me to get that sometime). When this album was first released, I heard my brother's copy of it and especially liked "What's Your Name", "That Smell", "I Know A Little" and "You Got That Right". I think he still has it, with the original flames cover. Those songs are still my favorite ones from this album. Some of the others it's been so long since I've heard them that I'm not sure what they sound like or if I really like them. I will need to listen to this album again soon.

This album is definitely one of the ones to suggest to people who want to know which Lynyrd Skynyrd albums, besides greatest hits compilations, to purchase to start getting into the band. I believe it is the quintessential Lynyrd Skynyrd album.

No comments: