Monday, July 26, 2021

Album Review: 20 Flat Out Sounds Like Blue Oyster Cult

Album Review: 20
Flat Out Sounds Like Blue Oyster Cult

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Buck Dharma Flat Out
1982 Portrait Records ARR 38124
***.5


"On the night I was born
They had the radio on
The countdown survey
From numbers forty to one
They played number thirteen
Mother was feeling fine
The station kept a rockin'
I was born on number nine"

For those of you who don't know Buck Dharma is the lead singer for Blue Oyster Cult. This solo album could almost be considered a BOC album except it doesn't have the band's symbol on the cover, I haven't checked the musician credits carefully enough to see if any other band members contributed to this album. It totally Rocks. My favorite song from the album is the first track on side one Born to Rock. When I first got this album, I put that song on a mix tape or two, I probably still have those tapes somewhere. As I said this album sounds as though it could be a regular BOC album. The only real surprise of the album is the cover of Come Softly to Me it just doesn't seem to fit well with the other songs, but it is still very good. If you are a fan of Blue Oyster Cult, then you should add this album to your collection. I don't think it has seen the digital light of CD yet and I'm pretty sure the vinyl version is Out of Print.

Note: Since my original reviewing of this album back in 2007 a CD release has been made. I need to find a copy. I think there is a bonus track.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm not sure if I've ever heard anything off of this album before, but am now intrigued. I'll have to go check it out!