Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Feliz Navidad = Merry Christmas

Image from RateYourMusic.com

For many years one of my favorite Christmas time songs was recorded by Puerto Rican folk singer Jose Feliciano Feliz Navidad. It is a catchy tune and I have always loved foreign language songs. This song is a mix of English and Spanish so it could be called Spanglish I guess. I prefer to call it Amerikan Music.

Feliz Navidad was a song recorded in 1970 and for many years was played on the radio just about every year. For me it wasn't Christmas until I heard Feliz Navidad on the radio. In the mid 1980s it wasn't played as often and when I looked for a copy of the song around Christmas Time I could never find it. I eventually did get a copy from Tower Records (I think).

The lyrics are simple a few lines of Spanish a few lines of English (the translation?), repeat and rinse a few times. Basically the lyrics are:

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Prospero Año y Felicidad


I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
From the bottom of my heart


One would think it was a straight and simple translation, but wait. "Feliz Navidad" is just "Merry Christmas" not "I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas" and "Prospero Año y Felicidad" does not translate to "From the bottom of my heart".

Lets see: "Feliz Navidad" does indeed translate to "Merry Christmas" and "Prospero Año y Felicidad" translates to "Happy New Year and happiness", "I want to wish you a Merry Christmas" translates to "Quiero desearte una feliz navidad" and "From the bottom of my heart" translates to "Desde el fondo de mi corazón".

So a strict English Translation is:

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year and happiness

I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
I wanna wish you a Merry Christmas
From the bottom of my heart


With a strict Spanish Translation:

Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Feliz Navidad
Prospero Año y Felicidad


Quiero desearte una feliz navidad
Quiero desearte una feliz navidad
Quiero desearte una feliz navidad
Desde el fondo de mi corazón


*Thank you Google Translate. Saves me from digging out my old Spanish/English Dictionary and translating word for word for an hour or two.

No comments: