Monday, April 12, 2021

Album Review: 05 Experiencing The Best Of Jimi Hendrix

Album Review: 05
Experiencing The Best of Jimi Hendrix

This review was originally posted on rateyourmusic. It was one of the reviews I was assigned in the "Go Review That Album" game on their community forums. This version of the review has had some editing and corrections.

Jimi Hendrix Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix
1997 MCA Records MCAD-11671
****

"I'm not the only soul who's accused of hit and run
Tire tracks all across your back
I can see you had your fun
But darlin' can't you see my signals turn from green to red
And with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead"

This is almost the ultimate Jimi Hendrix greatest hits collection. But why is it called Experience Hendrix when it doesn't even have Are You Experienced? on it? Oh well I guess you can't have everything you want. The tunes that are included on this album are most of the rest of Jimi's greatest hits. Some of the intros and outros of a few of the songs, seem like they are missing something. I'm not sure but I think they weren't quite sure where to begin or end a song from an original segue from one song into the next.

I remember when I was a kid, I had gotten bored of some of the Hendrix songs because I heard them so often on my local "classic" rock radio station. * Back in the days when they called it "Album Oriented Rock" or just plain "rock" just before stations started using the "Classic" rock label. In fact, I used to get annoyed whenever I would hear Hendrix's recording of The Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock. I used to think it was horrible because he was being "creative" with the national anthem. Well when I got older, I started to appreciate creativity by putting your own spin on a standard. Even if Hendrix was stoned while he was playing it, you have to admit that he was a talented guitarist.

I feel that the first part of the album is practically super hit after super hit, then somewhere after Foxy Lady the pace slows down slightly then picks up some and then of course it ends with the show stopping (or rather morning starting) The Star Spangled Banner, maybe because some of those songs I had barely heard, before I had gotten this disc.

* I have a whole lot of songs and artists that I have heard so often I am tired of them. It doesn’t necessarily mean I hate the artists I am just tired of them or their “anthem” songs/hits. Some of the artists on my list are Led Zeppelin (especially Stairway To Heaven), The Doors, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, James Taylor and probably a few other artists.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Greatest hits albums always leave off at least one hit, which I'm pretty is intentional. I think the thinking behind it was that if you wanted that left out song, then you'd buy the next greatest hits album too, the one that would have that song on it. It probably worked pretty well too, at least back before everyone could download everything.