Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Name Game: Kent Clark Kent

 It happened again. I think this name variant has happened before, but I'm not sure. I thought I had enunciated my name properly, then again I was wearing one of those COVID KN-95 masks and had my glasses on. So I was sort of incognito. 

Christopher Reeve as Clark Kent in "Superman"

Yep this time the cashier thought I had said my name was CLARK. I had to listen for this vastly different name to be called to pickup my order. Usually with the other names they are similar enough to mine that I can sort of tune out the difference in pronunciation. I could sort of do that with this too, but I always have to check to see what the ticket spells out and listen for that name. It is tempting sometime to give a wildly fictitious name. The problem though it can't be too crazy because then the person who has to call out the names wouldn't be able to pronounce it correctly. I would also have to remember whatever name I gave. I have toyed with giving "Captain Kirk" as my name, which isn't too far off from the truth. I would just have to worry about getting caught impersonating an officer or accused of stolen valor.

2 comments:

Jon said...

If someone questions your rank, just tell them that you identify as a Captain. That seems to be all anyone needs to say these days.

Jon said...

If anyone questions your rank, just tell them that you identify as a Captain :)